Tuesday 14 July 2009

Forest of Unicorns

There may well have been unicorns in the forests in Germany, but sad to say, I didn’t see any.  For those who read and didn’t know I went to Germany last week – I went to Germany last week and am now back.  For those who read and did know I went to Germany last week – I’m back from Germany.  Now count how many times I’ve written the word Germany in this entry, multiply that number by 5, add 3, switch the two digits of the number you end up with around, and I’ll come back to that later.

Travelling is rather stressful, and it takes a day or two to stop feeling like you’re still on the move.  That said, the experience is definitely worth it.  Even though the saying “time flies when you’re having fun” holds true, in a seemingly short space of time, you garner memories that will stay with you.  I was reading a philosophy book (The Philosopher and the Wolf by Mark Rowlands) which said that we humans have a tendency to look to the past and the future, but not often to the present.  In my view, we look at the past through rose-tinted glasses, we enjoy things better in retrospect.  “Remember that time we went camping and got absolutely soaked pitching the tents?” “Yeah, that was fantastic.”  What I want to make clear at this point is that Germany wasn’t something I enjoy(ed) purely in retrospect.  The trip was, at the time, fantastic.  In spite of some rather crazy weather.  Konstanz (known in English as Constance) lies at the head of the Bodensee (known in English as Lake Constance), which itself borders on the Swiss Alps.  Storms in summer come pretty regularly, but only stay in one place for 15-20 minutes.  At least they did when we were there.  It’s a really dramatic sight watching them come across the lake, I think I managed to get a photo of two storms converging on one another, I’ll know when I finally get around to uploading them.

Which reminds me, take one off that number you were working on.

So, now that the train’s finally stopped chugging along in my head, I’ve come back to regularity: the occasional working day, playing games I’d forgotten I had, housework, trying to find numbers where there’s next to nothing to play around with.  If anyone’s ever played Timesplitters 2 by the way, see if you can get the Lemming Award.  A little tip though, it’s only really funny in multiplayer mode.

Alrighty, for those who ended up with the number 82, I admire your rose-tinted glasses.  For those who didn’t, I’d be interested to know your answer.  For those who ended up with 82 and are now confused, I will clarify things in my next entry.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Apparantly you have a blog. Awesome. You could/should be a travel writer! :-)

    ReplyDelete